Laboratory of Geology and Magmatism of Ancient Platforms

Chief Konstantin N. Egorov, Can. Sci. (Geol.-Min.)

The staff consists of 17 persons, among which are four doctors and two candidates of sciences.

In 1971, the Cabinet of Geology and Petrology of Kimberlites and Diamond Deposits provided the basis for the establishment of laboratory of the same name (laboratory chief B.M. Vladimirov). In 1975, in relation to expansion of research tasks, it was renamed into the Laboratory of Geology and Magmatism of Ancient Platforms. In 1975-1991, the Laboratory was headed by B.M. Vladimirov, Doctor of Geology and Mineralogy.

Main current line of investigation deals with:

  1. mineralogy, petrology and evolution of deep-seated zone of the continental lithosphere;
  2. origin of diamonds and diamond deposits.

It unites four interrelated research fundamentals: 1) composition, structure and evolution of cratonized areas of the Siberian platform and framing folds on evidence derived from mantle and crustal xenoliths found in kimberlites and alkaline basaltoids; 2) structural and compositional type characterization of diamondiferous magmatites and rocks of the convergent margins as part of kimberlite, lamproite, alkaline-ultrabasic and alkaline-basaltoid complexes; 3) trends in development of marginal structures in the southwestern part of the Siberian platform with potentially diamondiferous magmatic occurrences; 4) geological-mineralogical zoning of diamondiferous areas in the southwestern part of the Siberian platform with the aim of predicting and searching for primary and placer diamond deposits.

The Laboratory maintains contacts with many research and production units of ALROSA Co. Ltd. (YaNIGP TsNIGRI, Yakutniiproalmaz, Udachy, Nurba and Aikhal GOKs, Amakinsk and Botuobinsk exploration companies), De Beers and Siberian Diamonds Companies, and “Irkutskgeologiya”, “Yakutskgeologiya” and “Zarubezhgeologiya” Production Geological Associations. Many research programs are fulfilled in cooperation with the United Institute of Geology, Geophysics and Mineralogy SB RAS, Novosibirsk, Institute of Geological Sciences SB RAS, Yakutsk, Institute of Geology SB RAS, Novosibirsk, and Buryat Geological Institute SB RAS, Ulan-Ude. The Laboratory actively participates in Federal Target Program “Integration of Science and Higher Education in Russia” in close contact with the Irkutsk State Technical University.

The necessity of expanding diamond-mining resources in Russia requires the application of advanced scientific methods to diamond exploration on new areas with complex geological setting. The challenge is in elaborating original and adapting preexisting forecasting and exploratory techniques to the regions with non-traditional primary diamond deposits. To do this requires the comprehensive study of cratonization of the lithosphere of ancient platforms, causes and mechanisms of the generation and consequent evolution of kimberlite and lamproite melts, crystallization of natural diamonds, and trends in location of primary and placer diamond deposits.

About Us

1949 and USSR Academy of Sciences Presidium Decree, dated February 24, 1949 as a response to the foundation of the Branch. It was renamed into the East-Siberian Geological Institute in 1957; since 1962, it had been known as the Institute of the Earth’s Crust SB AS USSR and obtained its current name in 1992.

Read more